One of my favorite parts of the morning is my time with Harley Quinn, my pup. She is the most perfect poochie on the planet, and we are completely co-dependent. Every morning, I let her out of her house (i.e. crate in our bedroom); she stretches, hangs out on the bed for a minute, and then we head to the kitchen for her breakfast. About 30 mins later, she lets me know she’s ready for a potty trip outside. We walk our usual path and take care of some business. We return to our spot on the couch to hang out with Matt and Savannah until 8:00am. In between these pup events, I do have other routines or morning rituals.
I started working from home in 2015, which has led to some lifestyle changes and habit adjustments. When I commuted to work every morning, my routine consisted of the basics with just enough time to get prepped and out the door by 7:30am. These days, I could roll out of bed at 7:45am and achieve the same result. Don’t get me wrong there have been days like this, but personally I have found more progress and success in waking up at 6:00am. My morning looks a little bit like this:
- 6:00am – Wake up, make bed, let Harley out, wash face, brush teeth, change clothes
- 6:15am – Feed Harley, make and eat breakfast (remind me to share my at-home Starbucks-like latte fix!)
- 6:30am – Take Harley out
- 6:45am – Catch the weather forecast from Chuck Lofton
- 7:00am – Get my fill of current events on Today, engage on social media (thanks to Gary Vee’s advice per Crush it!), write stuff (still working on this one), etc
- 8:00am – Head to work (which is just down the hall)
This is still a work in progress, but so far, I feel like I know a bit more about what’s happening in the world (though I wish I knew less about some of this political stuff!), I get quality time with Harley Q, and I have created time specifically for making connections on social media and honing my writing skills – but most importantly, I have perfected my at-home skinny vanilla latte!
I love a Starbucks skinny vanilla latte, but I hate the price tag! The frugal side of me has tried to acquire a taste for black coffee to cut costs, but YUCK! In order to get that delicious caffeine pumping through my veins, I decided to tackle a latte at home:
- Keurig – Free (We received this as a wedding gift.)
- Espresso K cups – $39.99 for 72 cups
- Vanilla syrup – $12.95 for 1L
- Milk frother – $17.99
- Almond milk – $3.00 for ½ Gal
Now, there may be cheaper ways to so this, but its where I’m at right now!
- Microwave 1/2 cup almond milk for 90 seconds
- Froth it up
- Brew K-cup into the same cup (4 oz)
- Add 2-4 pumps of vanilla syrup
- Mix everything up to distribute flavors
Its my new favorite thing! How do you get started in the morning? Any routines or rituals that you just can’t live without?